What's old is new

This is my place to show off the items I would call vintage, things I have either refinished or kept as is and find interesting. I am still a kid at heart bringing home what some might call junk and am always in search of that buried treasure. I am not a picker and I am not a hoarder, working with my hands on my own time repairing or refinishing the things I find brings me peace of mind and time to myself to contemplate whatever has transpired in my life or time to just zone out and concentrate on the task at hand. Some items for sale or possible trade just ask..click on my profile and send me an email.







Saturday, March 31, 2012

Unidentified Chairs-Unidentified Floor Lamp-Finished Side Table Project




I picked up these four chairs exactly in this condition for $5.00 each, while they are a train wreck now I'm confident I can make them look good again. The only ID on them is Adam's Furniture which I think must have been a local retail store. The lamp was $5.00 at the landfill Re-Store, it's a tri-light and it works but the wiring is dried and cracked (scary) the base is brass coated cast iron and is heavy while the wood body has the original distressed black laquer (no it's not scratched or cracking) and the upper is also brass plate. It has some rust issues but I'm going to try a little Naval Jelly in an inconspicuous spot to see how the plating reacts otherwise I'll hit it with WD-40 and see how the rust comes off and hopefully it won't be to pitted to polish out the rest. Finally is the maple table that appeared in my post "New Projects" It had multiple layers of paint with a rag finish. I stripped and repainted parts of it only because I thought the two corners and top were damaged but once I got it to bare wood I realized it was the natural grain and outer layer (bark) of the tree when the boards were milled, unusual for a piece like this that I've seen in Toronto vintage stores made by the same company (Snyder's) and none of them had those rough milled characteristics. So instead of natural finish entirely I thought I'd highlight those parts and go with a "Primitive Vintage" look.

No comments:

Post a Comment