What's old is new

This is my place to show off the items I would call vintage, things I have either refinished or kept as is and find interesting. I am still a kid at heart bringing home what some might call junk and am always in search of that buried treasure. I am not a picker and I am not a hoarder, working with my hands on my own time repairing or refinishing the things I find brings me peace of mind and time to myself to contemplate whatever has transpired in my life or time to just zone out and concentrate on the task at hand. Some items for sale or possible trade just ask..click on my profile and send me an email.







Friday, April 6, 2012

Unidentified Floor Lamp Dated 1956-Wheeler Porcelain Barn/Warehouse Light






Bought the 1956 floor light last week at the local landfill Re-Store for $5. The base was brass plated steel and was way to toasty to save, the brass plate flaked and peeled off or was to pitted so I painted with black "Tremclad Hammered Finish" rust paint and am happy the rest of the brass plate cleaned up with a light touch of the SOS pad and some soapy water, also rewired it and added a new plug. Going to look for a fiberglass drum shade and maybe hang onto for a while before selling. Picked up the authentic Wheeler Porcelain Barn/Warehouse light at V/V yesterday for $8, wish I'd taken a before pic as it had a heavy coat of off white paint, thank god paint and paint remover doesn't penetrate porcelain enamel, it only took 20mins to get back to original. Hot water would have had the same effect to soften the paint and it would have peeled off in sheets. Going to loose the cheesy chain and rocker switch power cord and get or make in the shop a goose neck or pendulum stem, this baby will be worth a few bucks but the girlfriend digs it so it may go over the back entrance of her 1915 home.

2 comments:

  1. Cool lamps and great clean-ups. I've been fascinated by Wheeler Sightlights ever since I did a post on them a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, I saw that floor lamp and while I new it would never be perfect again unless I went thru the hassle and expense of having it re-plated but I knew I could make it look good, I really like it just wait till I get a fibreglass shade. The barn light is in great shape, our kitchen has a 9ft ceiling and I thought I might hang it above the sink if not over the back door, it totally suits this old house. Norm Abrams would be proud LOL

      Delete